You Are Not Alone
If you have ever experienced a tingling sensation or numbness in your toes or feet during exercise, you are not alone. This tingling can range from a mild symptoms and slight irritation to constant irritation and outright discomfort.
Causes of Tingly Feet
One common cause is ill-fitting shoes. If your sneakers or work-out shoes do not fit properly or they are laced too tightly, they will restrict circulation.
- Check to make sure that your feet have enough room in the toe box of the shoe
- Shoes should be laced with enough room for your foot to move around
- We recommend purchasing workout shoes from a store where the staff is trained to properly fit shoes for athletes to avoid the many problems that can stem from ill-fitting shoes
Along with an examination and a thorough medical history, additional testing may be required to confirm a diagnosis of Sciatica.
MRI, CT, Electromyogram and Radiographs are all examples of tests that may be obtained to further evaluate Sciatica.
There are a few other conditions that can cause numbness, including multiple schlerosis (MS), Raynaud's disease and diabetic neuropathy.
It's important to see a podiatrist to rule these conditions out.
The Feet Could Be 'Asleep'
Another possible cause is that your feet are merely falling asleep. This happens a lot with exercises that involve planting the feet in a stationary stance. Some examples include:
- Elliptical trainer
- When you continue to place pressure on your feet but don't move them, it can restrict the circulation
Try wiggling your toes around and shifting your feet a bit as you exercise. Orthotics can also help eliminate the tingling by taking pressure off the ball of the foot.
Foot neuromas can also cause tingling and numbness. Symptoms range from discomfort or feeling like there's a rock in your shoe to pain in the ball of the foot or numbness.
Neuromas are caused by the thickening of tissue around the nerves that lead into your toes, and they need to be treated by a podiatrist.
At Home Treatment
1. To ease the pain and calm overactive nerves soak your feet daily in RELAX. The lemongrass and Epsom salts will soothe damaged nerves and increase circulation.