Picture this: you've just returned from a great hike and your feet are killing you. Not because of the blisters or the sweat, but because you were wearing the wrong shoes. If you're looking to avoid this uncomfortable situation, then read on for our guide to hiking shoes! We'll discuss everything you need to know before purchasing a pair, so that you can find the perfect pair of shoes for your next hiking adventure. Happy trails!
When it comes to hiking, having the right shoes is essential. After all, you'll be doing a lot of walking (and potentially climbing) so you need footwear that can handle the uneven terrain and keep your feet comfortable. Here are a few things to look for when choosing hiking shoes:
- Good traction. The last thing you want is to slip and fall on a hike. Look for shoes with good tread that can grip the ground, even when it's wet or muddy.
- Comfortable fit. Make sure the shoes you choose fit well and are comfortable to walk in. Hikes can be long, so you don't want to end up with blisters or sore feet.
- Waterproofing. If you're hiking in wet conditions, it's important to have shoes that can keep your feet dry. Look for shoes with waterproof membranes or sealed seams to keep out moisture.
- Breathability. Hiking can be strenuous and you'll likely end up sweating a lot. Choose shoes that are breathable to help keep your feet dry and comfortable. You can also use Mod Pod Freshto help keep your feet dry. This peppermint-based spray instantly neutralizes foot odor and kills fungal spores to keep your feet fresh all day.
- Durability. Hiking shoes take a lot of abuse, so they need to be durable. Look for shoes made with tough materials that can stand up to the elements and lots of wear and tear.
- Weight. The lighter the shoe, the easier it will be to walk in. If you're hiking long distances, you'll want to choose shoes that won't weigh you down.
- Support. If you have flat feet or pronate (roll your feet inward when you walk), look for shoes with extra support. This will help prevent injuries and keep your feet comfortable on the trail. We also recommend putting a custom orthoticinside of the boot. Unlike the one-size-fits-all mentality of the drug store inserts, custom orthotics are specifically designed for your foot, giving you optimal support. When your feet have the support they need, you are less likely to experience foot pain after a long hike.
A few of my favorite hiking shoes include:
All of these brands offer waterproof hiking boots with high top options. I always recommend wearing high top hiking shoes to provide your ankle with extra stability and reduce the risk of spraining your ankle while walking on uneven terrain.
I highly recommend that you go see Woody at J&H Lanmark. It is a great place to shop for hiking boots. Woody is very knowledgeable and will be able to help you find the perfect pair of boots for your fall hikes!
If you’re in the market for a new pair of hiking shoes, be sure to keep an eye out for these features. Not only will they help prevent foot injury, but they’ll also make your hike more comfortable and enjoyable. And if you’re not sure where to start, don’t worry – our team can help you find the perfect pair of shoes for your next outdoor adventure. So, what are you waiting for? Schedule an appointment today!